Happy International Women's History Month!
Over the past several decades, PMU has developed with trends in the female cosmetic industry that has inspired many bold and beautiful looks. To this day, PMU continues to relentlessly grow and change over time.
According to the Huntington Academy of Permanent Cosmetics, “The first modern application of permanent cosmetics was by Sutherland MacDonald, in 1902 at his tattoo parlor in London. Mr. MacDonald became well known for tattooing in ‘all around delicate pink complexion’ on the cheeks, and he was followed by George Burchett in the 1930’s as a major developer of this technique.”
In honor of celebrating all the successful, hardworking, and dedicated women that makeup the PMU Industry, we have dedicated some time to talking to artists who have made a significant impact for the community, and who continue striving to do this over time.
Here's what they had to say:
Irene Ignacio @irene.beautymethodco
- What does International Women’s Day signify for you? Why is it special? It represents how far we as women have come but it’s also a reminder to the world how much farther we need to and can still go. The generations before us fought tirelessly for us to have a voice and to be seen. It’s incredible to say we are finally beginning to receive the recognition we deserve.
- How do you feel about working in a predominantly female industry? Two words— female empowerment. It’s extremely gratifying and humbling to work amongst other successful women. Every person has their own story, their own struggles and yet are able to support and uplift one another. That’s amazing.
- What is your advice for other women internationally who are struggling in the PMU World? Your foundation as a PMU artist is so important so be mindful of where and who you receive your education from. Find a mentor who is capable and willing to support you as you try and find your way. Surround yourself with like-minded artists and engage with your community.
- What is your favorite Microbeau product? Why? It’s a tie between the Flux Mini and Flux S Max. My first love is the mini. It’s small in size but packs a powerful punch and handles everything I’ve used it for with such ease. But the new Flux S Max in Oudwood… it’s simply gorgeous. It’s my first 4.5mm stroke machine and wow, it packs in color like I’ve never seen before.
ShaTerra Jenkins @daytonpowderbrows
- What does International Women’s Day signify for you? Why is it special? International Women’s Day signifies women empowerment and how far women have come as a whole. It’s very powerful to know what all women before me have sacrificed in paving the way for what we are able to accomplish today!
- How do you feel about working in a predominantly female industry? I think it’s very rewarding to be able to be a part of a huge community of girl bosses making things happen and making a difference in the lives of others through beauty and art.
- What is your advice for other women internationally who are struggling in the PMU World? I think it’s important for women everywhere to be patient with themselves and try not to compare themselves to the level of success someone else may have. We all will take different paths to ultimately achieve the same goals, so always strive to be the best version of yourself, continue to practice and put in the work you expect to get out of it. The rest will work itself out.
- What is your favorite Microbeau product? Why? My favorite Microbeau product is the Flux S because it’s so versatile and fits my grip so well. It’s quiet yet mighty and I can count on it to do what I need it to at any given moment.
Lidia Gudyasova @lidiagudyasova
- What does International Women’s Day signify for you? Why is it special? For me, International Women's Day is an opportunity to celebrate women all over the word. To uphold our achievements, recognize our challenges, and support each other in new beginnings.
- How do you feel about working in a predominantly female industry?Working in a predominantly female industry makes me feel grateful for the opportunity to help other aspiring and experienced artists feel empowered to continue learning and growing within the PMU industry.
- What is your advice for other women internationally who are struggling in the PMU World? My advice is to keep learning and practicing. There is nothing in this world that you can’t achieve if you really want it and dedicate yourself.
- What is your favorite Microbeau product? Why? My new favorite Microbeau device is the Flux S Max. I fell in love with the power of that machine, it helps me to cut down the time it takes to perform brow procedures. It’s also very lightweight, so my hand doesn’t get tired.
Gabriela Rojas @dazzlingbeautybarmiami
- What does International Women’s Day signify for you? Why is it special? International women's day signifies a day where women empower women. We as women all are powerful in our own ways and on this day we celebrate each and every one of us. In a world where women are still the underdogs, it’s a day where all of our accomplishments are celebrated and shows how far we will continue to go.
- How do you feel about working in a predominantly female industry? Working in a predominantly female industry gives me a sense of community. It's such a small industry and we have all established an empowering community.
- What is your advice for other women internationally who are struggling in the PMU World? My advice for other women struggling in the PMU world is to find what fuels them. Find that drive, and put in the hours to persevere. Even if you are not where you want to be, with practice and dedication each day, you will be in a better position than yesterday.
- What is your favorite Microbeau product? Why? My newest Microbeau obsession is the Flux S Max, it has been my go-to ever since it was in my possession! For lips and brows I don’t see myself grabbing anything else any time soon!
Anna Manina @manina.pmu
What is your favorite Microbeau product? Why?
I love the Flux S Max because it is perfect for creating hair strokes which I use to for clients who want more natural looking eyebrows, clients with over-tweezed brows, and clients diagnosed with alopecia.
Henna Alshayeb @henna_pigmentstudio
What is your favorite Microbeau product? Why?
My favorite device is the Flux S Max. The weight and body style It has is ergonomic to prevent my hands from hurting after a long day of clients, and the new battery lasts me all day long. The Flux S Max always gives me consistent power and performance!
Shop the artist's favorite device, the Flux S Max!